Despite winter’s sudden return this past week, the cold air is almost out for good – and you need to be prepared. It’s time to bask in the sun with the hottest outdoor design trends of 2014, and here are a few according to Freshome:
- Wall garden – This year’s gardener is turning things upside down – literally! Moving the traditional flower bed from the ground to the walls helps cover some of the empty wall spaces and saves space for more patio furniture, a barbecue grill or even a pool.
- Rock solid – More homeowners are using natural elements in their outdoor spaces, and many have even ditched plastic for an entire sitting area made of stone, wood or marble. Not only are natural materials easy to maintain, but they are extremely durable and can last exponentially longer than anything man-made.
- Natural glow – There are some nights – even in the south – that can get pretty chilly. All you need is a safe area, a light sweater and a roasted marshmallow to enjoy your own fire pit.
- Native blooms – We’re all looking for an easy way to add depth to our homes. One of the easiest things to do is to build a garden full of plants native to Georgia, such as yellow stargrass, lady ferns and hepatica that will almost maintain themselves.
- Herbal remedy – One of the chicest trends this year is growing your own herb garden. Atlanta has particularly taken to this idea as a place where food and culture collide.